Followers

Monday, January 3, 2011

So long, 2010

Whew! I thought that year would never end. Here's hoping 2011 will be a kinder, gentler year for the Plaid Patrol, and for all & sundry out there in the 'webs. Just a few days before Christmas, I re-read the Yarn Harlot's "Fallen" post, and it still cracks me up. I believe that's in Dec 2008, if you'd like a laugh.
So, what will I resolve for the new year? Gah, I hate resolutions. But I just saved a copy of a "10 Goals Planner" from the Home Made Simple site, so I suppose I'll have to come up with some goals.
Just got done reading Dog Boy by Eva Hornung -- what a disturbing tale! Don't want to drop any spoilers here, but the end is a shock.
***
Ok, I started this post Monday and here it is Thursday, but it wasn'tready to be published. Had a very strange experience yesterday: I got an ocular migraine. Yes, it made the six o'clock news,"Woman who 'never has a headahe' gets migraine; details at 11". Seriously, this was so weird -- I'd had a minor headache for a few days (stress due to overwork, minor sinus issues, etc), then I got this visual disturbance. It started as though I'd looked into a bright light (no, not THAT one!),with that glare-y look to everything. Then it got brighter but more focal, with a blue-white, moving, jagged line through my visual field. I was a bit concerned, and awfully glad it waited until after I was at work instead of while I was driving. So I found a friend who had some aspirin, thinking it might be a cerebrovascular incident (aka stroke!), and told her what was happening--turns out she'd had it before, and that was reassuring--she's still kicking, so I figured I'd survive. Then I remembered a similar incident that occurred about 3-4 years after I'd started working for the pathologists (the same folks I've worked for, for 20 years now!), only I went completely blind that first time. Well, not completely, but near as: it was like looking thru dirty broken glass. So, what in the world makes a body pitch a migraine once every 17 years? Anyway, I got online & looked it up, more reassurrance that I would live thru it, and very quickly my vision returned to near-normal, with just a hint of the glare remaining for most of the rest of the day. But I felt absolutely beat last night, couldn't wait to put my weary head down on the pillow. I still had a bit of the headache this morning, but it's less now than it's been in days, thank you Jesus. Plaidman thinks I should call the doctor, but she's a ditz who'll probably tell me to put the lime in the coconut. Why bother?
^^^
In knitting news, I went to the JoAnn Fabrics & Crafts in Franklin and found two more skeins of the Serenity sock yarn--not for socks! I'm knitting a stole, with a strand each of the Serenity and Paton's Lacette (which appears to have been discontinued). The Lacette is 25% mohair, the rest being acrylic and nylon, and surprise! it's washable in the machine on cool & delicate. It's teaching me about mohair...like, don't use a center-pull on this stuff!
Well, gotta go back to work now. Happy New Year, all!

No comments: