Followers

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Huzzah! More furniture!

Tuesday's delivery was the tall chest that goes with our bedroom, and today we got the floor lamp and (drumroll please) our queen-sized mattress -- and we got the frame set up, and the Plaidman wrestled the mattress into it's protective cover.  It's fabulous.  All of our bedroom furniture (except the étagère) matches....  I'm a little freaked, as we've been living with cast-offs & second hand bits & bobs almost our entire married life.  It was like living in a gypsy caravan, or a perpetual college dorm.  And I was so beyond tired of it.  The new furniture, new house, shorter drive to work & to everything else we could want (there are 3 Chinese buffets within 5 miles) have all contributed to my much improved mood.  Some folks go shoe shopping, I went house shopping.....
In Knitting Knews, I've finished 9 of the 4-row repeats on my restarted Honey Color Affection.  It will be a slow process, but not a difficult one.  I'm not actively working on anything else, but I gave away my wooly hat to a homeless dude, and now I need a hat.  I like Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick 'N Quick for hats, because it's washable.  Pretty sure I've got skeins in at least 4 colors, in my craft room.  So, I should get into my collection of hat patterns & get busy!
Time for a Year of Handmade prompt!
    5. Favourite thing you have ever made 
This is a tough one.  As crafters, we're usually pretty smitten with whatever project we're currently working on, or looking forward to starting that next project.  I've made a lot of things.  Those made for folks I love are treasured memories.  My niece is one of my most knit-worthy of kin.  I flew to Texas to visit with Sis & her family some years back, and the timing was just not the best--Niece A was pretty booked up with activities most of the weekend. so I wasn't going to spend much time with her.  She had an overnight (friend's birthday party, 5 girls & the birthday girl's Mom spent the day sightseeing & stayed over) that had her running out the door at 9 a.m.  But she wanted to have "me" with her, so she put on a sweater and picked up a teddy bear I'd crocheted, and wore her brand new knitted & felted hat I'd given her.  All her little friends were very keen on all these items.  I guess anything I've made for her is a favorite thing.  The best part of crafting for someone else is getting that positive feedback.  I knit cowls for my entire department for Christmas one year, something like 20 cowls knit in 6 weeks, and one recipient told me thank you.  She actually told me thank you several times, and said she wore hers almost every day that winter.  This past holiday, I made the silly ruffle scarves -- just knit 6 & turn, repeat ad nauseum.  Those were very well received!  I had several coworkers thanking me for them.  I still have a few skeins of the ruffle yarn, but would rather burn it than knit it.  What can I say, I pretty much DID the ruffle scarf thing to death. 


No comments: