Followers

Sunday, July 7, 2019

I ain't ded.

And I know you are both surprised & delighted, and I feel the same way.  It's just that my mister, bless his heart, generally wants to spend the entire day on the computer.  It's hard to pull him away from his favorite pastime, when all I have to offer in exchange is housework.  So what's been happening at Chez Plaid Patrol the past seven months?  It's like this:

Seven months gone in a blur...I was having "jaw" problems at the end of 2018, which finally manifested as parotiditis.  This got so bad that I had surgery in February to remove an abscess (all cutting & stitching done inside my mouth, so no visible scars) and get most of the gland drained.  Still, the notion persisted that the underlying issue must be with the jaw, even though no specific problems were found there by the oral surgeon.  Because the main oral chemo drug I use has jaw problems as possible side effects, the oncologist decided to discontinue the osteoporosis drug that was supposed to help rebuild my bones that were damaged by cancer.  I guess it's ok, since I'd been on that drug a while and mostly recovered from osteoporosis.  I think we've had to put the power chair in the shop twice this year (so far) but it works now & we may have figured out the problem.
We went to the Zoo here, twice in one month!  Our memberships got renewed, we can just park & walk in whenever it's open.  The first visit, there was work being done on some of the paths.  The detours were rather rough on the power chair, but it worked long enough to get me back to the car.  However, when we got home after hauling the thing in the trunk, it balked at starting.  Plaidman broke it down to the pieces that fit in the trunk, and put it back together while checking all the connections, and did get it to work.  We've decided it just can't take a lot of jostling, as on the rough routes through the Zoo + the trip in the trunk.  We're keeping an eye on it.
In March, we had our regular plumbers out for an issue, during which they needed to get into the crawl space.  They found some fungus-among-us (actually, quite a bit--it's always been damp there), and said they could do a couple of things to alleviate it.  They encapsulated our crawl space, which I'm sure was quite a trick since the other two connected houses did not have any separation from our space.  They also installed a dehumidifier.  I have noticed a bit less general "snottiness" for all of us; we have all had the post-nasal throat clearing and sneezing for a while.
In May, I had a very thorough eye exam, in which my cataracts were pronounced "mature", as in it's time to remove them.  So followed two eye surgeries, removing my funky natural lenses and implanting brand new artificial ones.  I see better up close without than with my glasses, but can't see the middle distance at all.  The old glasses are tolerable for watching TV, or riding in the car.  As soon as I'm done with all the post-surgical eye drops, I'll go back to my regular eye care and get new prescriptions.  I'm looking forward to being able to follow a lace chart more easily, and I've been doing a lot of reading without my glasses.  I have been knitting a little, just easy stuff with big yarns & big needles.  I was at first rather pleased with Ravelry's new stance keeping down the Trumpers & their bombast, but I have wondered at the negative responses that have come out.  Truly, Trump has made it "OK" to be racist in America again.  I'm not sure if that is totally intentional on his part, or a defect (ok, another defect) of his personality.  He despises brown people, and generally dislikes anyone not rich & white & male.  How did he ever run any business?  Trump believes he can absorb all he needs to know from one poor source, hasn't filled crucial staff offices so has no one to whom he can turn for clarity or to whom he can delegate authority, and he lies like a rug.  Hells bells, he makes George W. look good. 

No comments: