Followers

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Count down to vacation

Next week I have a birthday, so I'm taking off work the whole week as per my usual routine of having a Polish birthday. DiscoDame & I went to WallyWorld & found the plastic bangles I was wanting, for a price that I was willing to pay! So I can get started on the Bracelet Bags (from Laurie Perry's book--I think they're in the first one, Drunk, Divorced & Covered in Cat Hair)for the nieces. I'm going to use some of the stash enhancing gift I received from Debbie Stoller, though I'm not sure which yarn(s) as I'll have to check them against the bracelet colors. I'm knitting another pair of fingerless mitts, with corrugated ribbing at the cuffs -- whew! what a PITA! I have a piece of knitted fabric made up to felt for Sis' latte cozy; just haven't done the felting yet. But I'll have a whole week to play with yarn, so I imagine this will get done soon. I found a site that sells undyed sock yarn in cones, about 1 lb of 80% merino/20% nylon sock yarn just waiting to be dyed. It's very tempting! Of course, dyeing would mean winding off hanks (I have a swift!), figuring out what dye to use (lots of ideas on the Innerwebs!), and setting up dye pots, utensils, etc etc.
I bet you're wondering at the hopeful attitude expressed by all the knit blather above. The Plaidman has cashed in one of his retirement accounts, so we can get all caught up on the bills & likely stay that way at least thru the winter. It's so nice not to worry about whether the mortgage company will foreclose on us, or if the cars will be repo'd. It's a bit sad for him, but he has another account and it's kinda his fault we got in such a fix anyway, so I don't feel too badly about it. Anyway, the Captain of the Plaid Patrol should be able to take one for the team. Now if we could get DiscoDame employed somewhere, we'd be able to stretch his cashout even further. But I'll think about that another time--it's too depressing for the day before I start vacation!
ETA: We just had our Departmental Meeting/Birthday Luncheon (combined, so we can all have an hour to dine!), and boy did we eat! We had pulled pork BBQ, turkey BBQ, fried cornbread, white beans, turnip greens, mac 'n cheese, squash casserole, sliced tomatoes, homemade chow-chow, and topped it off with CocaCola cake with ice cream. I'm stuffed. I'm so stuffed I'm almost in pain. It's naptime!

No comments: